Silver has been known – and treasured – by people for centuries. Closely associated with the moon, the metal has traditionally been given as a symbol of trust, wisdom and love.
Sterling silver is the world’s most popular silver alloy. To be classed as sterling silver, the alloy must contain at least 92.5% pure silver. The remaining 7.5% can be made up of other metals, most commonly copper.
Sterling silver is excellent for jewellery because it preserves the colour, lustre and the heft of pure silver and also significantly improves the metal’s durability, making it more resistant to wear and tear. Different finishes, such as oxidation, are often used on sterling silver to create different effects.
Being Pandora's signature take on the beauty of rose, the Pandora Rose metal blend makes jewellery glow with luminous and flattering blush hues. The innovative metal blend is beautiful and lends a vintage appeal to designs.
Pandora Rose jewellery is crafted from a unique metal blend, which consists mainly of copper and silver with a 14ct rose gold plating. This plating not only prevents the jewellery from tarnishing, but also provides the items with a beautiful pink lustre.
Some standard jewellery elements in the Pandora Rose Collection e.g. butterfly earring backs, are not made from the Pandora Rose metal blend. Instead, they are made from sterling silver with 14ct rose gold plating.
The golden hue has strong historical connotations and has often been linked to the sun and glossy honey. It’s luxurious and regal expression have made it the favoured material of the ruling class.
Crafted from 18k gold-plated sterling silver, the Pandora Shine collection has a deep, rich golden hue and offers an affordable alternative to solid gold jewellery. Plated using the electroplating method, the thickness of the plating on Pandora Shine jewellery is thicker than industry standards.
With proper care and maintenance, the plating will last a long time. However, it is impossible to put an exact time on this, as it depends on how the jewellery is worn and the care exhibited. Typically, jewellery pieces such as rings and charms are subjected to more wear and tear than earrings and necklaces, so the plating may naturally wear off faster on these.
Gold is a precious metal. Its beauty has captivated the hearts and minds of humans over the centuries and it has long been used for ornamental purposes. Gold in its pure form is also relatively soft and is therefore prone to scratching and wear and tear. Alloying it with other metals significantly improves its durability, makes gold jewellery more affordable and creates different colour variations.
The amount of gold present within a gold alloy is described in carats. The highest possible carat level is 24ct and the closer to 24ct an alloy is, the richer its colour will be.
Pandora uses 14ct gold in our 14ct Yellow Gold collection, which features a striking golden colour that looks the closest to pure gold. 14ct yellow gold consists of 58.5% pure gold and 41.5% other metals, mainly silver and copper.
The Murano name is trademark protected, so only the glass material produced on Murano is allowed to be called Murano glass. Pandora’s glass charms are made from rods of Murano glass imported directly from the island.
Pandora Floating Lockets are created using the highest quality materials and are hand-finished to exacting standards. The locket case features transparent exteriors crafted from luxurious sapphire glass. Sapphire glass – also called sapphire crystal – is made from synthetic sapphire. We've chosen to use sapphire glass because of its transparency, durability and scratch resistance.
The Pandora gemstone category consists of natural gemstones; gemstones formed in nature without human intervention.
Gemstones found in nature are true wonders. Each one is unique and rare, and the legacy of the long history they possess is unparalleled. Because natural gemstones are formed deep beneath the earth’s surface over thousands of years, no two are exactly the same and there will be colour variations from stone to stone.
PEARLS & MOTHER OF PEARL
Pearls and mother of pearl belong to a small group of gemstones classified as organic gems. This means that they have been produced by animals or plants.
Pandora uses two types of organics gems – freshwater cultured pearls and mother of pearl.
A man-made stone is manufactured in a laboratory over a short period of time.
The vast majority of stones used by Pandora are man-made. This is because Pandora have made a conscious decision to limit our environmental impact. Our man-made stones are high quality and exhibit less colour variations, which reduces material wastage.
Cubic zirconia is recognised for its sparkling appearance and its availability in virtually all colours. Its combination of beauty and affordability has made it one of the most popular stones in the Pandora stone assortment, alongside man-made crystals.