The best ways to wear earrings

If you’re after versatile jewellery, earrings are one of the easiest ways to level up your outfit for everyday, nights out or a special occasion. Whether you’re looking to curate your perfect ear stack or need inspiration for new ways to wear your go-to pieces, our guide is here to help.

How to wear different types of earrings

To create your perfect ear stack, consider including a few different types of earrings:

Most popular earrings

Choosing earrings for your ear stack

Once you’ve thought about which styles work for you, the next step is to look at their specific design features. Earrings come in all shapes and sizes, so choose those that reflect your style when curating your ear stack.

Different ways to style earrings

Whether you have a single piercing or multiple, you can wear your earrings in different ways and switch them up depending on your outfit or where you’re going. Let’s have a look at a few ways to keep your ear stack interesting.

Minimalist style

If you’re wearing a bold outfit or just prefer to pare things down a bit, keeping things simple with minimalist earrings is the way forward. Look for circular styles, teardrop-shaped studs or small metal hoops.
Teaming your dainty earrings with equally simple pieces works well to keep your look unified, so think about pairing them with chain necklaces, wishbone rings or a bangle bracelet.

Curating the perfect ear stack

Curating the perfect ear stack that goes with everything is a great option when you have multiple piercings and like to switch things up. Here are a few things to keep in mind when creating your next styling:
Start closest to your face: Pick the piece closest to your face and jawline first before continuing to work your way up.
Consider the proportions: Think about the 40/60 rule when adding styles along your earlobe. This means choosing statement styles 40% of the time and going for more simple pieces for the remaining 60%.

Weight matters: Choose the heaviest earring styles for your ear lobes since they can carry the most weight. As you go up, go for lighter pieces that won’t get in your way or tangle in your hair.
Follow the cascading rule: If you want to stack with larger hoops or dangly earrings, wear them closest to your face. As you move away from your face and up the ear, stack smaller pieces like huggies and studs.
The overall look: Have a look at what other pieces of jewellery you’re wearing and the focal point of your outfit. If you’re already wearing a statement necklace, think about going lighter with your ear stack and vice versa.

Go asymmetrical

Tell your story with asymmetrical looks that come together to represent you. Mix and match your earrings to create bespoke styles that feel true to who you are. Think about having a bigger piece on one ear and pairing it with a smaller one on the other side to create contrast or wear the same style in different metal finishes.

Whether you’re putting together an asymmetrical pair or curating a unique stack for each ear, incorporate different varieties and play with shapes for endless new combinations. No matter how you style earrings, we’re here to help you find your dream pair. Explore our huge earrings collection to browse the latest studs, hoops and dangles.

Get the look